The Groundhog has spoken
Punxsutawney Phil predicts 6 more weeks of winter....so we have some warm thoughts for Spring! Even with the cold blast we're getting this weekend, longer, warmer days will be here before we know it. Here's what's in the works:
- Stay tuned for these Spring activities
- Don't Forget: Board application deadline is February 10
- More Board changes
We are already planning our spring activities. Here is a taste of what's in store. Watch for future updates with dates and times.
- We'll have training dates for new volunteers who want to help with Visitor Counts in March, when the weather gets a little warmer.
- We will commemorate the 111th anniversary of the Titanic sinking with a wreath-laying ceremony on April 14th, and display the stories of heroes and victims of the tragedy that we created last year.
- Landscape activities will also ramp back up in the Spring.
- Bench painting parties will take place in later spring and again in the fall.
We'll also continue our work to get approval and raise money for signage in the Park, as the Park Service plans for their major restoration of concrete sidewalks in future years.
Want to take a larger role as we plan these Spring activities? We are looking to expand our Board of Directors, and there is still time to apply! We hope to add 2 or 3 Board members to help with our increasing activities in the Park. Our ideal Board member:
- Supports NPS’s vision that Titanic Memorial Park is a historic park worth preserving
- Supports the Friends as a donor and/or volunteer
- Will attend monthly board meetings lasting 60 - 90 minutes
- Will commit to 5 hours of work per month, including Board meetings
In addition, board members are expected to participate in 3-4 community events each year, ranging from work parties in Titanic Memorial Park to staffing tables on behalf of the Friends at other neighborhood events. Board members are also expected to work on 1-2 projects each year.
We welcome applications from anyone who has an interest in Titanic Memorial Park. In particular, we are looking for candidates who have interest in one or more of the following:
- Volunteer Coordination
- Social Media and Communications
If you are interested in serving on the Friends Board, please send a brief statement outlining your skills, interests, and/or experience with non-profit boards to [email protected]. We will accept applications until February 10, 2023, and select additional Board member(s) after we review applications and interview candidates.
Please reach out with an email to [email protected] if you have any questions about joining the Board.
As we look to a bright future for the Friends and Titanic Memorial Park, the time has come for me to step down as Chair of the Friends. In the six years since Donna Hanousek and I founded the Friends, we have improved the Park in many ways, and the Friends organization has also grown and matured.
We have a lot of talent on the Board already, and are looking forward to welcoming new Board members. While I will remain on the board, it is time to let others take the helm. Richard Helke has stepped into that role, and the Friends are in good hands with him in the lead! Please join me and the Board in welcoming him to this role!
Proud partner of the National Park Service